Happy Book Birthday Descended by Blood
Source: Receive eBook from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Although Brooke hasn’t spent a lot of time in one place, she has lived in Virginia for two years. For the first time, she has a BFF and a potential boyfriend. That boyfriend is Jaren the boy she has had a crush on for the whole two years she’s lived there. Her life could be perfect except that a strange man is following her and then tries to kidnap her. Her self-defense gets a little over the top and Brooke kills the man. Why doesn’t her mom want her calling the police? How did she defend herself from a man with fangs? With little to no choices, Brooke leaves to protect those she loves and find out more about who she really is. Someone wants her or wants her dead. Not a good feeling.
5 stars – a must read
I want to start with the cover. I love this cover and it suits the book so well. Brooke is this strong beautiful girl who hasn’t quite found herself yet. The picture on the front is the Brooke more at the end, a determined, confident girl with just a little edginess to her. I loved how Brooke grew in this book. She started out not always standing up for what she wanted to but when she figures out who she is things change. Her strength of character and body come out clearly. I love that about her. She's not perfect, but needs to grow into herself.
She has excellent taste in a BFF’s. Kaitlynn is fabulous. Talk about friendship. I could tell you about this wonderful scene where Kaitlynn probably wishes she wasn't with Brooke but I don't want to ruin it for you. The point is that Kaitlynn risks for her friend.
I love Brooke's choice of Jaren to crush on. It’s sweet how the relationship between Jaren and Brooke develops. The beginning of the book really focuses on that and it drew me right in. I had read ¼ of it without putting it down. I finished the book the next day. (I had work the next day or I would have been up all night finishing it.)
Things I really liked about this book:
- The different spin Angeline puts on things.
- Not love at first sight – well maybe it's lust at first sight
- Brooke struggling to accept what and who she is
- Brooke needing to learn to control what she is with some surprises
- Kaitlynn as the BFF
- Lots of cool magical powers
- Great world building with a few twists on the normal lore
- Gorgeous teacher for Brooke
- Love triangle (Yep I liked this. Went from team A to team B to conflicted)
- Mirko's confidence - I can still see him dancing on the... oh I shouldn't tell you that
- Loved the jealousy from Jaren - poor boy shouldn't have... oh I can't say
Things that I didn’t like about this book:
Oh, wait there weren't any.
This is a great paranormal romance read. Check it out.
Coming soon - character interview with Mirko (and I'll be admitting to being #TeamMirko)
Check out the trailer